January 2011 seems far, far away if you are planning to study in the US. Seven months does seem like a long time but it is NOT if you are planning to apply to US universities for Spring! You must start right away in order to be successful in gaining admission. Take the following steps:
- Prepare for GRE, GMAT,TOEFL, or IELTS – depending on what test you plan or need to take.
- Register for the test right away! Deadlines are good. It will help you to focus and study. Also, if for some reason you don't do well, you will have an opportunity to retake the test.
- Don't wing it or go unprepared to take the test. These are tough tests and you must study for it. Scores matter!
- Short list your universities. What is a good US university? Read my previous postings.
- Visit the websites of your favorite universities and learn about them.
- Review all documents you will need to apply to a US university.
- Think about finances and what you can afford.
Students that start early have a greater chance of getting admission to a good US university!